This guide shows you how to set up the OpenVPN client on your Windows PC or Laptop. Before proceeding, please ensure that you have been set up for VPN Access by Macnamara ICT. The request for VPN access must come from a contact at your company authorised to give you remote access.
Macnamara is partnering with LuJam Cyber to provide additional levels of security for your company network. Using the secure VPN connection outlined in this document provides you an encrypted link to your office network, protected by 2 factors of authentication; a password and a secure certificate. This allows you to access your office files securely from any location, but please note if you are in another corporate environment there may be additional restrictions and controls on that network that prevent you from using a VPN connection. If that is the case, contact Macnamara Support in the first instance with the error message that you are getting and we will be able to advise you accordingly.
If you are using a public wireless connection, it is potentially insecure. Using this VPN will ensure that your internet access on that network is secure from other users who may be able to snoop on your internet activity. You should never connect to an insecure public network to access sensitive data.
If you are using a PC or Laptop managed by Macnamara, we can help you set this up.
Before You Begin
You will require the VPN certificate emailed to you from firstname.lastname@example.org before you begin, and the VPN password emailed to you separately. If you have only just been set up it may take a little longer for this to have arrived. If in doubt, please contact Macnamara Support.
1. Download the OpenVPN client for Microsoft Windows by clicking on the following link:
2. Run the installer file downloaded in step (1). User Access Control will ask you to confirm that you want to allow the app to make changes. Say “Yes”.
3. Accept the license agreement, and then accept the default component choices.
4. The OpenVPN software needs to install a device driver to enable the VPN routing to work. When asked “Would you like to install this device software?” choose “Install”.
5. The installation process will install files to your PC or laptop. Click “Next” to continue.
6. The process will complete. Click “Finish”.
7. You should already have received an email from LuJam containing your VPN certificate, and a separate email containing your VPN password. Find the email with the subject “LuJam VPN Certificate for network: <your network name>”, and save the attached certificate locally to your PC.
8. Copy and paste the certificate file into the c:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config folder. You will be prompted that administrator privileges are required. Select “Continue”.
9. To start the VPN software, double click on the OpenVPN GUI icon on the desktop.
10. To connect to your home or office network, right click on the OpenVPN system tray icon, which is an image depicting a computer screen with a padlock, and choose “Connect”.
11. You will be prompted for your password, which you should have received in an email with the subject “LuJam VPN password for network: <your network name>”. You may choose to save the password, which will allow you to connect in future without re-entering the password.
12. The OpenVPN client will indicate that the connection was successful, and the system tray icon will turn green.
13. To disconnect from the VPN, right click on the OpenVPN GUI icon in the system tray, and select “Disconnect”.
This guide has been edited by Macnamara ICT based on the original setup provided by LuJam Cyber. For additional information about LuJam Cyber, please visit their website https://lujam.com